If you are a British driving fanatic, you will no doubt be aware of the huge list of motorsport events across the world. But have you considered the wide range of driving events which are available closer to home in Britain; the country which is arguably the true home of motorsport? Here we present five of the most famous and prestigious motorsport events in Britain which any driving fanatic should attend.
- Every summer, the world-famous single seater series Formula One visits the legendary Silverstone circuit in Northamptonshire for the Formula One British Grand Prix. Experience the unique thrill of watching Formula One cars get up to speeds of 200mph around the demanding, high-speed corners of Silverstone, which is one of the oldest circuits on the Formula One calendar. The experience of watching Formula One cars push their limits is simply unmatched; however, do bear in mind that tickets for this event are always in extremely high demand and tend to sell out very quickly. But don’t forget that Silverstone operates experience days to allow you the thrill of driving on the exact same circuit as the very best Formula One drivers.
- Rallying is a fantastic form of motorsport where competitors drive as fast as they can go on demanding British public roads. Arguably the best British rally of them all is the Nicky Grist Stages in Wales which, uniquely, is the only rally to use both gravel and tarmac surfaces and offers a real rollercoaster ride for spectators and competitors alike.
- For those who enjoy something a little different, Britain also offers a variety of drag racing and the most prestigious British drag racing event is undoubtedly the FIA European Finals, which takes place in September at the magnificent quarter-mile Santa Pod Raceway in Northamptonshire. Watch in awe as the high-spec Pro Mod competitors reach speeds of over 240mph, which remarkably, they can reach in just under six seconds!
- For those who prefer their motorsport to be a little more physical, whilst demolition derby racing is comparatively rare in the UK compared to the USA, Mendips Racewayin Somerset operate a hugely-popular day of banger racing which ends in a fantastic, no-holds barred, demolition derby (http://www.mendipsraceway.com/see-it-now/formulas/banger-racing.html). This has to be seen to be believed and is fantastic fun for the family.
- Whilst the racing is not as extreme as during a demolition derby, the ever-popular British Touring Car Championship also features some intensely physical racing in tuned-up road vehicles and even features estate cars. The highlight of the BTCC calendar is the season finale at the fantastic Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit in Kent, which is usually held in the autumn. Formerly used for the older generation of Formula One cars, the legendary Brands Hatch circuit is perfectly suited to the close, bumper-rubbing racing of the BTCC series. As an added bonus, tickets are very reasonably priced and the access to drivers is unmatched, making this series perfect for a family day out.
Latest posts by Courtney Lee (see all)
- Gifts for the Writer in Your Life - 27th June 2018
- Gifts for Your Goth - 27th June 2018
- Why Paper Bag Speed Dating could be the way forward - 31st May 2018